Accidents involving children

Where a child is injured as a result of an accident, product or medical treatment it may be possible to make a claim on the child’s behalf*. Where the person under the age of eighteen (a ‘minor’) suffers an injury owing to the negligence of another person, or organisation, their right to make a claim is subject to certain requirements that are there to safeguard the minor’s interests.

As the injured party is under the age of eighteen they are required to bring their claim through an adult. This is generally one of their parents or a guardian. The adult who represents the minor is known as the ‘next friend’. The next friend is required to act in the best interest of the minor when making decisions in respect of the claim.

Unlike the two year timeframe, or statute of limitations, for adults’ negligence claims, the cut-off timeframe for a minor claim is two years after the date of their eighteenth birthday.

An important safeguard for a minor in a negligence claim is that a judge’s approval is required before a settlement or award offer can be accepted by the next friend. Where a solicitor has managed to negotiate an offer in the case it will then be necessary for a court application to be made. The application will include a barrister’s opinion as to the appropriateness of the offer. A judge has the discretion to either accept an offer or turn it down depending on whether they believe the injuries merit a higher level of award or if they require further medical evidence before making a decision on the value of the injuries.

These safeguards are to ensure that the best interests of the minor are looked after. Once the offer is agreed by the judge, the monies then go into court until the minor turns eighteen. Once eighteen a separate application is required to take the settlement monies out of court.

Common types of accidents involving children

Common types of accidents that result in children being injured include:-

Common child injury claims

Birth injury

Negligent actions or omissions by medical staff during the term of the pregnancy, at birth or during post-birth aftercare, may be actionable.  Injuries at birth are classed as birth injuries or birth defects:-

  • Birth injuries are injuries that are caused during or immediately after the delivery of the child. Typical examples of birth injuries include broken bones, nerve damage and brain damage.
  • Birth defect injuries occur as a baby develops in the mother’s womb. These defects can occur from mismanagement of the pregnancy by medical staff. Some birth defects have been found to occur from medications prescribed to the mother that contained toxins resulting in defects to the developing child.

Child abuse

Where a child has suffered from abuse of a physical or sexual nature it is important to report these incidents.

  • In the first instance such incidents should be reported to the Garda Síochána. For assistance and support you may wish to contact one of the many support groups that are available, which include:-
  • Cari provide support for children who are victims of childhood sexual abuse;
  • Safe Ireland provide support for women and children affected by domestic abuse;
  • Barnardos provide support for children who are victims of childhood sexual abuse, amongst other services; and
  • TUSLA is the State Agency responsible for protecting the wellbeing of children.

A child that is a victim of abuse of a physical or sexual nature can bring a personal injuries claim. We appreciate that incidents of this nature may be very difficult to discuss. There are important proofs that will need to be gathered such as the dates of the incidents, the identity of the abusers and medical evidence of the physical and/or psychological injuries caused.

Child protection

Injuries suffered at school, creche or day-care

Where a child suffers an injury while under the care of a school, crèche or child day-care, then you should look to speak to your solicitor.

To bring a claim it will be necessary to show that the injury was caused by negligence of the owner or a staff member. In a school and crèche setting teachers and supervisors have a duty of care to protect the safety of children. This includes avoiding injury being caused by the anti-social behaviour of other children.

Playground accidents

Where an accident occurs in areas of public amenities for children (such as playgrounds or skate parks) and injury is caused to a child, then you should consult with a child injury solicitor to discuss your options.

There is a duty of care owed to the users of such amenities by the owners to provide an appropriate level of safety for children using the facilities. Where injuries occur due to the negligent actions/inactions of the owner, or an employee of the owner, then there may be cause for action. Playground accidents can often occur due to poor maintenance, poor layout or a lack of supervision. In some cases children can suffer injury due to faulty or incorrectly installed equipment.

Making a claim

If you wish to make a claim in respect of an injury to a child it is advisable that the next friend contact a solicitor at an early stage following the accident.

There is an extended statute of limitations time period for minor claims, being two years after the minor turns eighteen years of age. However, as is the case for an injuries claim involving an adult that is based on the negligence of others, it is very important to gather evidence from an early stage after an accident or incident that caused the injury.  A person or organisation seeking to defend any such claim may take issue with any significant delay in the claim being taken where it unfairly prejudices their ability to defend the case.

We have over fifty years’ experience in child personal injury claims.

You can contact one of our experienced advisors who will be happy to assist you.

You may take legal action after  you have been involved in an accident or injured because of somebody else’s actions or negligence*.

Personal injury claims generally involve:

  • A plaintiff or claimant  – this is the person making the claim (you).
  • A defendant – the person(s) you are making the claim against.
  • Your solicitor 
  • PIAB – Personal Injury Assessment Board (often called the Injuries Board). PIAB assesses most  personal injury claims before any further steps are considered.

What Are the Common Injuries Sustained In Accidents?

For every type of accident, whether a car crash, a slip and fall, or a product related injury, there is a wide array of injury types that can occur. Every part of the body is susceptible to different forms of injury and the forces applied upon the body when an accident occurs will dictate the kind of injury as well as the severity.

As a personal injury law firm with over 50 years experience representing injured parties Ireland we understand the nature of various types of injuries. We are able to articulate the effects they have on a client’s life, and the types of medical care required, in the context of a personal injury case.

Get in touch

Nationwide services with dedicated offices in


2-4 Ely Place, Dublin 2, D02 FR58


Bishopsgate, Henry Street, Limerick, V94 K5R6


1A South Mall, Cork, T12 PV44

Share this page



Wills, Probate and Trusts

HOMS Assist provide swift case resolution and a personalised service. Contact us for all private wealth cases such as Wills and Powers of Attorney.


Property Law Solicitors

HOMS Assist provide swift case resolution and personalised service in Dublin and Limerick. Contact us today to discuss property law matters.


Family Law Solicitors

We have 50+ years experience in family law cases including child custody, guardianship, divorce and domestic violence. Contact us for swift case progression.


No data was found

What we offer

We are an award winning, client-oriented law firm in Dublin, Limerick and Cork. Our solicitors provide comprehensive legal advice in an approachable and caring manner. Most of us will require a solicitor at some time in our lives. When the time comes that you do require legal support you will want to be sure that you are dealing with professionals who will work quickly and efficiently to help you. So whether you need help writing a Will, you have been in an accident, suffered an injury or illness that was not your fault, or you are looking at divorce options, we can offer clear guidance and representation to assist you in obtaining the optimum result.

Request a callback

Fill out the form below, and we will contact you shortly. Required fields are marked *

Sign up to our newsletter today

Scroll to Top