Updates on our CR involvement is highlighted in each edition of our HOMS Assist Newsletter, and in News.
We closely align with the principles of ISO14001 to ensure that we deliver sustainability in every aspect of our work. In our CR policy, which is part of our Q9000 Quality Standard policies, we commit to operating our business in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. As an organisation delivering primarily services, we have limited environmental impact. However, we recycle where appropriate and constantly look at ways of minimising our material waste.
We strive to make a positive contribution to the environment through a number of strategic activities, including:-
- Promoting environmental responsibility and awareness amongst employees, encouraging partners and suppliers to be environmentally aware
- Understanding the environmental status of goods and services and ensure that they have the lowest possible carbon footprint
- Pro-active management of waste production, nearly 100% of our waste is recycled and reused instead of being sent to landfill. This includes recycling of all paper, recycling and composting of food and other wastes, and recycling print cartridges, computers (donate to Camara, a charity who re-uses technology to assist in education in disadvantaged areas of the world), printers, mobile telephones (donate to Jack and Jill Foundation), chargers and batteries
- Responsible employee travel. Employees are encouraged to avail of the bike to work scheme, encouraged to car share in fuel efficient, low emission vehicles and we promote the use of public transport where possible to reduce our carbon footprint
- Print double sided wherever possible
- Lower electricity usage/. We have policies in relation to switching off electrical appliances and lighting when not in use. We utilise movement sensors in infrequently used areas such as storerooms, toilets and corridors to prevent lights being left on unnecessarily. We changed our lighting to LED lights which contain no toxic materials and are 100% recyclable. Staff are advised to turn their computer monitors off if they are away from their desks for more than 10 minutes, and turn off both PCs and monitors at the plug at the end of the day. Our printers and photocopiers are turned on only when required, and are set to go to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity
- Paper light policies and initiatives
- Plants are used in our offices as a means of oxygenating air in the work place and removing carbon dioxide
- We take part in the Team Limerick Clean Up initiative, which is a community initiative to clean up Limerick, each year
- Maintain awareness of emerging developments in energy efficient & renewable methods and materials, and implementing these where a positive environmental impact can be identified
- Staff receive internal training on environmental measures and reminders are regularly issued through training and updates.