Undergoing surgery is a daunting experience, whether it is emergency or elective, so a patient naturally places a huge amount of faith in the people carrying out the procedure. The standard of care expected in this area is very high, and medical practitioners will seek to prioritise the care of each patient, but issues may still arise. Here are some examples of surgical errors:
Surgical Errors that May Occur:
- Error in pre-operative planning
- Failure to obtain full and informed consent
- Inappropriately administered anaesthetic
- Surgical implement or tool left in a cavity during a surgical procedure
- Surgery performed on the incorrect body part
- Failure to adequately monitor a patient’s heart rate and/or breathing, both during and after a procedure
- Misdiagnosis and/or delay, resulting in a delay in performing a surgery
- Carrying out unnecessary surgery as a result of a misdiagnosis or confusion in a patient’s medical notes, X-rays, etc.
- Poor post-operative care, including (but not limited to) excessive post-operative antibiotics, lack of regular observation, and failure to adequately treat and monitor post-operative wounds
What to Do if You Have Experienced Surgical Negligence:
To proceed with a claim for surgical negligence, a patient must show that the duty of care of a surgeon/anaesthetist/other medical professional fell below the accepted standard and that this lapse in care caused the injury of which the patient complains. It is important to note that, just because a problem has arisen from a surgical procedure, it does not qualify automatically as negligence.
If you are considering proceeding with a case, we will, under your instruction, take up copies of your medical records in order to fully investigate the surgical procedure and how it was performed. We will consult our panel of medical experts to help you determine whether there was any negligence involved. If we do identify negligence, we will proceed with the case on your behalf.
Pursuing a claim for medical negligence can be a daunting and emotionally draining course of action to take, but we endeavour to make the process as stress-free as possible for you. Contact our team at HOMS Assist today to discuss your options in a confidential and sensitive manner.
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement