For most of us, our GP is our first point of contact when we experience a medical issue. We develop life-long, trusted relationships with our GPs, and they become an integral element of the health and well-being of our families.*
GPs are tasked with spotting relevant signs and symptoms early on and referring patients for further treatment and tests as necessary. If there is a lapse in this standard of care, the impact on the patient can be considerable—or even catastrophic.
Examples of GP Negligence:
- Failure to refer for urgent treatment
- Failure to properly investigate symptoms
- Failure to refer to the appropriate specialist
- Failure to act on test results
- Failure to review/update medication
- Medication/prescription error
- Failure to keep appropriate patient records
- Failure to treat symptoms appropriately
- Failure to request appropriate tests, X-rays, etc.
- Carrying out minor procedures without due care
What to Do If You Have Experienced GP Negligence:
To proceed with a claim for GP negligence, a patient must show that the GP’s duty of care fell below the accepted standard of a competent GP, and that this lapse in care caused the injury or damage suffered by the patient.
If you believe you have suffered injury or damage as a result of a mistake made by a GP, contact the HOMS Assist Team. Under your instruction, we will take up copies of your medical records in order to fully investigate the care you received from your GP. We will consult with our panel of medical experts to help you determine whether there was any negligence involved in the treatment provided to you. If we do identify negligence, we will proceed with the case on your behalf, allowing you to focus on your recovery, which is of primary importance.
Contact HOMS Assist today to discuss your options in a confidential and sensitive manner. We understand that these situations can be very challenging, but we will do our best to make the process as stress-free as possible for you.