Accidents In A Public Place

A public liability claim* can arise where a person has sustained a personal injury on public property, where the cause of that injury is the negligence of another. This area of law covers a very wide range of accidents that occur in public places. Where negligence occurs a claim can be pursued against the owner or the party who had control over the particular area. 

Making a claim for a public place accident

Firstly attend your doctor to have injuries suffered assessed;

  • Contact a solicitor and describe how the accident occurred in detail;
  • Obtain a medical legal report from the GP/consultant;
  • It may be necessary to obtain medical records to help link the injury to the alleged cause;
  • Submit an application to the Injuries Board together with the medical legal report of the GP or consultant;
  • Assessment – the Injuries Board will liaise with the defendants and allow them time to consider whether the Injuries Board should proceed with an assessment or not;
  • An authorisation will issue to allow us to pursue court proceedings in the Circuit Court or High Court;
  • Liability is usually disputed in public place accident claims. An engineer may need to be engaged in order to inspect the premises and draft a report in this matter; and
  • A loss of earnings report may also be required from an accountant. It may be necessary to ascertain whether there are grounds for a loss of earnings opportunity claim and engage the services of an actuary if there is likely to be a future loss.

Common types of public place accident claims 

Injuries happen in public places on a regular basis. If you have been involved in such an accident, you may be entitled to claim for personal injuries and/or expenses. We take you through the different kinds of public place accidents and how to make a claim if you have been injured in one. 

Common Public Place Accidents

Causes of accidents in a public place

Accidents at in a public place can have multiple causes. We list the more common causes of injury in a public place and how to make a claim for damages.

Causes of Public Place Injuries

We have over fifty years’ experience in public place personal injury claims.

You can contact one of our experienced advisors who will be happy to assist you.

Get in touch

Nationwide services with dedicated offices in


2-4 Ely Place, Dublin 2, D02 FR58


Bishopsgate, Henry Street, Limerick, V94 K5R6


1A South Mall, Cork, T12 PV44

Share this page



Wills, Probate and Trusts

HOMS Assist provide swift case resolution and a personalised service. Contact us for all private wealth cases such as Wills and Powers of Attorney.


Property Law Solicitors

HOMS Assist provide swift case resolution and personalised service in Dublin and Limerick. Contact us today to discuss property law matters.


Family Law Solicitors

We have 50+ years experience in family law cases including child custody, guardianship, divorce and domestic violence. Contact us for swift case progression.


No data was found

What we offer

We are an award winning, client-oriented law firm in Dublin, Limerick and Cork. Our solicitors provide comprehensive legal advice in an approachable and caring manner. Most of us will require a solicitor at some time in our lives. When the time comes that you do require legal support you will want to be sure that you are dealing with professionals who will work quickly and efficiently to help you. So whether you need help writing a Will, you have been in an accident, suffered an injury or illness that was not your fault, or you are looking at divorce options, we can offer clear guidance and representation to assist you in obtaining the optimum result.

Request a callback

Fill out the form below, and we will contact you shortly. Required fields are marked *

Sign up to our newsletter today

Scroll to Top