A serious or catastrophic injury can be defined as a severe injury to the spine, spinal cord or brain; the kind you never expect this kind of injury to happen to you or a loved one. If you have suffered such an injury and it was not your fault, or your family member has and it was not their fault, you may be entitled to compensation.
General and Special Damages
Claims can be made for general damages which relate to the pain and suffering caused by a serious injury. In addition, claims will also take into consideration additional special damages including medical expenses, nursing aids and loss of earnings.
Common types of serious injuries which may be eligible for compensation claims include:
Head and Brain Injury
Common injuries include concussion and accident-related brain injuries which can be subtle, mild or severe. Such injuries, which are not caused by genetic or congenital disorders, are referred to as ‘acquired brain injuries’ by the medical community. Brain injuries of all types can devastate people’s lives. It is crucial to get advice from a solicitor with expertise in the relevant area as soon as possible.
Spine / Spinal Cord Injuries
Injuries to the spine / spinal cord can be detrimental, complex and life-changing. While modern medicine is advancing, it has only come so far, and recovery from such injuries can be very slow. We can assist you in making a claim if the injury has resulted from an accident that was not your fault.
Fatal Accident Claims
If the cause of the death of a loved one is somebody else’s fault you may be able to make a compensation claim to relieve the financial burden and mental distress experienced as a result.
Lower Body Injuries
A loss of a limb (or multiple limbs) can have a detrimental effect on your ability to continue with everyday life and activities. If you have lost a limb and it was not your fault, we may be able to assist you in making a claim for compensation.
Psychological Injuries and Trauma
Unseen injuries such as post-traumatic stress and depression can often accompany chronic pain when you suffer a serious injury. If this is the case and the injuries suffered are a result of an accident that was not your fault, we can assist you in making a claim for compensation.
Our Serious Injury Compensation Claims Process
When you contact HOMS Assist about a serious injury claim, our team of experienced solicitors will do the following:
- Meet with you and your family and have a detailed consultation about the cause of your accident and the symptoms you have suffered.
- Obtain a medical legal report from your GP or treating consultant.
- Assist you in making a claim to the Injuries Board within two years of the date of the accident.
- Issue court proceedings to pursue your claim if your claim does not finalise at that stage.
- Include the costs of past, ongoing and future treatments and any loss of earnings and / or loss of opportunity in the claim amount.
- Robustly seek interim payments to support the injured person and their family.
What is a PRO (Periodic Payment Order)?
A Periodic Payment Order (PPO) is an order made by the court in a catastrophic injury action which makes provision for the periodic payment of compensation to a victim for certain agreed items of future special damages to cover lifetime needs. Usually, the items covered are future care and therapies and medical / therapeutic aids and appliances in catastrophic injury cases. A crucial feature of the PPO is the continuity of payment. PPOs will be granted in tandem with a lump sum payment, incorporating general damages and some future items of special damages.
At HOMS Assist we aim to:
- Develop a good relationship with clients by working closely with victims and their families.
- Empathise and focus on the specific needs of the individual.
- Provide guidance and information on the financial supports available to victims of catastrophic injuries and their families.
- Reduce stress and allow victims to concentrate on recovering their lives.
- Facilitate building a rehabilitation programme that works with the victims and their families.
At HOMS Assist we have over fifty years’ experience in personal injury claims, including serious and catastrophic claims. You can contact one of our experienced advisors who will be happy to assist you.
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.
I had great confidence in Robert taking my case as he paid attention to the details and problematic aspects of my case and this influenced the positive outcome I got.
Rachael is incredible:-she put everything in terms that could be understood and was always available. Her secretary, Edel was professional, patient and kind.
Anna , Limerick
The best thing about the service was efficiency. I always got to speak to somebody. The result Rachael achieved was exceptionally good and the case took the time I was told it would take.
Kevin , Limerick
Thank you for all your help & professionalism over the last number of years. Thank you to Robert & all the team who worked of my behalf. I would highly recommend you to family & friends.
Peter , Limerick