Until Easter Monday members of the public face arrest and, if convicted, a fine of €2,500 and/or 6 months imprisonment if they are found:
- travelling without an essential reason, or
- exercising more than 2 kilometres from their home. (Cyclists beware!)
What is an "essential reason"?
- To travel to and from work that is an essential service. A complete list of essential services can be found on www.gov.ie.
- Working in an essential shop, bank or post office;
- To attend a medical appointment or to collect medicines, for yourself, your family or someone vulnerable;
- For vital family reasons. This includes shopping but excludes social visits.